Sunday, February 3, 2013

Alex Cross - First Naiads

Before school started, I was in one of my states of disorientation.  I was not really sure what to do with myself.  I felt a greet need to adventure into unknown territory. When an adventure is compete impulse, it is not always a good thing.  I was driving about hungering for some nightlife.  It is also bad to start responding to hunger before you know what you are hungering for.  At a crucial moment, I was joined by a friend of the inner family, Lucky.  He suggested that I visit Books A Million.  So he and I went browsing about and I listened for guiding cues.  I could sense that I am to go to this table filled with...AUDIO BOOKS.  Lucky pointed out the location, I went, and there they were.  An older couple was also circling around it, and the woman said to the man, "We could get another James Patterson."  I wondered around some more, and then saw another section with audio books, and there was the James Patterson book, Alex Cross.  I purchased it, and then saw that the Joe Muggs had just brought back the Peppermint Mocha!  As I secured the delectable concoction, the matt at the cashier counter advertised the book I had just found.

"James B. Patterson (born March 22, 1947) is an American author of thriller novels, largely known for his series about fictional psychologist Alex Cross, the Alex Cross series. Patterson also wrote the Michael Bennett, Women's Murder ClubMaximum RideDaniel X, and Witch and Wizard series, as well as many stand-alone thrillers, nonfiction and romance novels...Patterson has written 97 novels since 1976. He has had 19 consecutive #1 New York Times bestselling novels, and holds The New York Times record for most bestselling hardcover fiction titles by a single author, a total of 76, which is also a Guinness World RecordHis novels account for one in 17 of all hardcover novels sold in the United States; in recent years his novels have sold more copies than those of Stephen KingJohn Grisham and Dan Brown combined. His books have sold approximately 260 million copies worldwide." ~   [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Patterson]

So, I thought it might be good to know what makes this man such a successful author.  I had difficulty with the romance and contrived good guy icon.  Alex Cross never was really good at his job, was absolutely whipped by Nanner the Mother or Grandmother, and was never really developed.  He was kept in the simple archetype genius detective (which was never demonstrated in this story).  The Butcher was really the only thing that made the story decent to me.   I think Alex Cross is probably just a good guy mantle that allows the parading of interesting bad guys.  But it is finished.

But there were nymphs that came to me from this story:

1.  Alex Cross and Samson ate at a place called the Red Hat in Irvington, New York.[http://www.redhatbistro.com/].  I would like to go there, just to have a meal and enjoy their waterfront location.


2.  The Movie Sideways was mentioned [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375063/] It involves a journey I would like to take:  "Two men reaching middle age with not much to show but disappointment, embark on a week long road trip through California's wine country, just as one is about to take a trip down the aisle."

3.  The Butcher listened to a song by Frank Ford called Sea Cruise, when he killed a child-molesting priest and threw his body out to sea.  Frank Ford still lives in New Orleans.  [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankie_Ford].  I would like to take a Sea Cruise from New Orleans.

4.  The autobiography of Bill Clinton was also mentioned.  That will be an easy nymph to kiss.  We can both listen to it, and then discuss it.


5.  Movie that was mentioned was Diary of a Mad Black Woman.  I will watch with you and then we can have a discussion about it.


6.  John Updike's book Villages was also mentioned. Consume Audio Book and Discuss:


7.  They mentioned a song by the King of Soul, Sam Cooke, "You Send Me."  There is a biography to read and discuss:


8.  Another book to read and discuss, "The Idiot."



9.  A Scottish Band was mentioned [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Ferdinand_(band)]
[http://www.franzferdinand.com]  I am not really sure...maybe see them live and discuss?


10.  The movie Blink was mentioned - watch and discuss - and what of  "retroactive hallucinations?

11.  Also mentioned was Care of the Soul by Thomas Moore.


  
12.  The "City of Fallen Angels" was made reference to, which is book 4 in the Mortal Instruments series.  Can not start at 4...might end there once we have felt the magic.


And that is all the nymphs that can fluttering out of this pool.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh!!! I remember his name was familiar for a reason. Witch and Wizard is one of my favorite graphic novels!!! I absolutely adore it and I lost it when letting a friend borrow it. I couldn't remember the name of it and wanted to continue reading the series. I actually have Daniel X at home, which is another graphic novel. So I'd say that is definitely some magic and I would suggest checking them out!! I am also in love with the artwork.

    I would love to do all of these things mentioned above!

    ReplyDelete